Step One: Submit
Submit a complete application via email or USPS.
A complete application consists of:
- A completed and signed Scholarship application data form (Click here)
- Statement of your career aspirations and motivation for studying music. Consider the following when preparing your statement:
- What does the study of music mean to me and to the world?
- Why do I plan to study music in the next phase of my education?
- What type of degree or program am I seeking to enter, and why?
- What special qualities or experience do I have which will make me the
best candidate for the scholarship?
- High school or home-school transcript, showing courses taken and grades
- At least one, but no more than three, letter of recommendation, written by someone familiar with your skills and talents. Recommendations Letters can be from one of the following:
- Vocal coach or instructor
- High school choir or group ensemble director or teacher
- Church choir director
- Other entity such as a music camp or special program director
Be sure that all documents submitted have your name affixed.
If you choose to email your application, please attach all forms to an email addressed to email@example.com, and submit no later than midnight on February 15, 2020.
If you choose to mail your application, it must be postmarked no later than February 15, 2020. Please send your application to:
Virginia Choral Society
Attn: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1742
Newport News VA 23601
Step Two: Audition
The committee will contact the top applicants to schedule an audition, which consists of a solo vocal performance and an interview with the Scholarship Committee. If you are not chosen to audition, you will also be notified.
The audition piece may come from any genre, and you may bring your own accompanist or accompaniment, or request one.
Step Three: Award Performance
If awarded the scholarship, you will be asked to perform a solo vocal piece at our Spring concert on May 3th. (An inability to perform at those concerts would not prevent you from receiving the scholarship.)