These instructions must be followed when applying for the VCS scholarship.
THE DEADLINE FOR THE 2018 SCHOLARSHIP IS FEBRUARY 15, 2018.
A complete application consists of:
- Scholarship application data form , completed and signed
- Statement of your career aspirations and motivation for studying music. Consider the following when preparing your statement.
- What does the study of music mean to me and to the world?
- Why do I plan to study music in the next phase of my education?
- What type of degree or program am I seeking to enter, and why?
- What special qualities or experience do I have which will make me the
best candidate for the scholarship?
- High school or home school transcript , showing courses taken and grades
- At least one, but no more than three, letters of recommendation, from someone familiar with your skills and talents. Letters can be from one of the following:
- Vocal coach or instructor
- High school choir or group ensemble director or teacher
- Church choir director
- Other entity such as a music camp or special program director
Be sure that all documents submitted have your name affixed. Recommendations may be sealed but do not have to be. Your signature on the application data form is your certification that you are not submitting false statements or other evidence on your application.
Print, scan and attach all forms to an email addressed to email@example.com, and submit no later than midnight on February 15, 2018. If you choose instead to mail your application, it must be postmarked no later than the deadline just referenced.
If using postal mail please address to:
Virginia Choral Society
Attn: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1742
Newport News VA 23601
The application in its entirety will be retained by the scholarship committee and used in the consideration of your application and the determination of whether you will be asked to interview and audition. The committee will contact the top applicants to schedule this session. If you are not chosen to audition, you will also be notified.
If invited to audition, you will be required to present a solo piece of your choosing and answer questions from a panel about your experiences and aspirations. The solo should be of the quality expected when auditioning for a collegiate level program and can be of any genre that you choose, in order to best showcase your talents. You may bring your own accompanist or accompaniment, or request that we provide you support by our VCS accompanist.
If you are awarded the scholarship, you will be highly encouraged to perform at one or more of our Spring concerts which conclude the VCS season, scheduled for May 4th and 5th. If unable to perform, this does not disqualify you but we would be proud to present you as our current season winner and publicize the results of our scholarship program.
Good luck and thanks for your participation!